There are many people that are embarrassed about wearing sleeveless or short-sleeved tops because of the appearance of their arms. Some people have extra skin or fat around the lower section of their arms. Some have experienced problems because they have lost a lot of weight. Either way, the appearance of excess fat and skin around the arms makes many people want to cover up even during the warmer months. Fortunately, Cosmetic Surgery offers a solution: the arm lift.
What is Brachioplasty?
A brachioplasty is also known as ‘’Arm lift’’. It reshapes or mold the under portion of the upper arm, from the underarm region to the elbow.
An arm lift procedure:
- Reduces excess sagging skin that droops downward
- Smoothes and Tightens the underlying supportive tissue
- In the upper arm region it reduces localized pockets of fat
Arm lift surgery is the best option for you if the underside of your upper arms are drooping or appear loose due to excess fat and skin.
Worldwide Ratio Of Women To Men For Brachioplasty
In 2018, total number of females who undergo for brachioplasty procedure are 133,152 95.8 %
Total number of males who undergo for brachioplasty procedure are 5770 in men ( 4.2 %) in 2018
Majority of the patients with their age groups including:
- Age 19-34 : 10.6%
- 35-50: 40.3 %
- 51-64 :37.8%
- 65+: 11.3%
Brachioplasty And Some Global Facts About It:
- USA is the most popular country for the arm lift procedure.
- 95% patients reported being satisfied with the surgical outcome
- Once you hit your 30’s your muscle mass begins to decrease by 5%.
- In USA total procedures carried out in 2019 are 19,064 , 8,893 Mexico and 6,377 Germany
- It’s important to avoid direct sunlight for the first 12 months after surgery.
- 75% of women admit that their body image overrules their self-esteem & confidence.
- Over 80% of men also satisfied with Arm Lif procedure.
- Present change 2018 vs 2014 which is 29.2% increase in demand.
- There are three possible locations for incisions ,Front of the arm, Back of the arm and Arm pit
Brachioplasty In Pakistan And Some Facts About It
- In 2019 total procedures were carried out for arm lift are 15,907
- Arm lift perform in Pakistan is 11.5 % more than in 2014
- Recovery time for Brachioplasty is usually 1 to 2 weeks.
- Nearly 40% of the people who get this surgery done are in their 40’s and a whopping of 50% get it done when in their 50’s.
- According to the statistical data 10% of the people who undergo this procedure are in their late 30’s.
- Present change 2017 vs 2016 with 1 % increase in demand
- Present change 2017 vs 2000 535% increase in demand
- The mean age of patients was 60 years and average was 28 years.
Why It’s Done
- As you get older, the skin on your upper arms changes becoming loose and sagging.
- Remarkable weight loss can cause the undersides of your upper arms to sag.
- While exercise can improve and strengthen muscle tone in the upper arm, it can’t mark excess skin that has lost elasticity.
- If the undersides of your upper arms are drooping , than you should go for arm lift.
- Take the First Step to Great-Looking Arms
- Better choice of clothing
- Say Goodbye to Sagging Skin
- Get Rid Of Fat Pockets
- Tighten Up Your Upper Arms
- Make It Easier to Exercise
- More toned, contoured shape
- Removal of excess skin and fat
- Improved results when working out
- An arm lift will also boost magnify your body image.
Who Is A Best Candidate For Arm Lift Surgery?
In general, arm lift candidates include:
- Individuals with a positive outlook
- Arm lift costs may include:
- Anesthesia fees
- Adults with notable upper arm skin laxity
- Adults of any age whose weight is reasonably stable and are not overweight
- Healthy individuals without medical conditions that increase the risk of surgery
- Hospital or surgical facility costs
- Medical tests
- Post-surgery garments
- Prescriptions for medication
- Surgeon’s fee
What Should I Anticipate During A Consultation For Arm Lift Surgery?
During your arm lift consultation be prepared to discuss following:
- Your surgical goals
- Medical conditions, drug allergies and medical treatments
- Present herbal supplements, medications, vitamins, alcohol and drug use
- Previous surgeries if done
What Questions Should I Anticipate My Plastic Surgeon About Arm Lift Surgery?
Use this checklist as your guide during the arm lift surgery consultation:
- Are you certified by the Pakistan Association of Plastic surgeon?
- Were you specifically get training in the field of plastic surgery?
- What surgical cosmetic technique is recommended for me?
- What kind of assistance will I require during my recovery?
- What are the complications and risks associated with my whole procedure?
- How many years of plastic surgery experience have you had?
- What will be expected of me to get the excellent results?
- Where will you execute my procedure?
- How can I anticipate my arms to look over time?
- What are my options if I am not satisfied with the outcome of my arm lift?
- Do you have before-and-after pictures I can look at for this procedure?
- What results are reasonable for me?
What Are The Risks Of Arm Lift Surgery?
The decision to have plastic surgery is purely personal. You’ll have to decide if the risks , benefits and complications of surgery are acceptable. You will be asked to sign consent forms to ensure that you completely know the procedure.
Arm lift surgery risks include:
- Fluid accumulation (seroma)
- Damage to deeper structures such as nerves, blood vessels and muscles
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation
- Pain, which may persist
- Anesthesia risks
- Poor wound healing
- Unsightly scarring
- Sutures may not absorb, but spontaneously surface through the skin, causing irritation, drainage and redness
- Possible need for revision surgery
How Should I Prepare For Arm Lift Surgery?
You may be asked to do these steps while preparing for the surgery:
- Medical evaluation or Get lab testing
- Take particular medications or adjust your current medications
- Stop smoking
- Keep away from aspirin, anti-inflammatory drugs and herbal supplements as they can increase bleeding
What Are The Basic Steps Of An Arm Lift Procedure?
An arm lift procedure includes the following steps:
Step 1 – Anesthesia
Step 2 – The incision
Incision length and its pattern purely depend upon the amount of excess skin, which is to be removed, as well as the best decision of your plastic surgeon.
- Inner arm incision
- Back of arm incision
- Minimal incision
Step 3 – Closing The Incisions
Your incisions will be closed with stitches. These will be removed within one or two weeks following your arm lift.
Step 4 – See The Results
From brachioplasty the smoother and tighter skin are appear almost immediately following your procedure.
What Should I Anticipate During My Arm Lift Recovery?
A Brachioplasty procedure can be done in an outpatient surgical facility or in a hospital. Sometimes the procedure is done with local anesthesia, which numbs only part of your body. In other cases, general anesthesia, which renders you unconscious, is recommended.
After The Procedure
After the surgery, your incisions will be covered in bandages. Small tubes will be placed in your arms to drain any excess blood or fluid.
The First Few Days After Brachioplasty:
- Avoid lifting your arms above shoulder level for a month
- For four to eight weeks after surgery, stop any kind of athletic and physical activities.
- Take pain medication as needed and use topical or oral antibiotics as directed to prevent wound infections.
What Results Should I Anticipate After Arm Lift Surgery?
An arm lift can provide your upper arms a more toned appearance by removing loose skin. Arm lift results are typically long lasting. By healthy and stable weight you can retain your results.