Do you feel your breasts are uneven or too small and do not have the shape you desire? If so, you may have considered breast augmentation. It will not only improve your appearance, but also provide you additional benefits in terms of high self-esteem and professional or social opportunities.
What Is Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation is also termed as augmentation mammoplasty. It involves using breast implants or fat transfer to enhance your breasts.
What Breast Augmentation Surgery Can Do?
Here are benefits of this popular procedure
- Youthful appearance
- Increase fullness and projection of your breasts
- Improve balance of breast and hip contours
- Enhance your self-image and self-confidence
Worldwide Ratio of Breast Augmentation
In 2018, total number of females who undergo for breast augmentation procedure are 313,735.
The mean age of the patients was 26 years (range: 18–41 years). Majority of the patients (60.4%) were less than 30 years old including:
- <20 years: 13.9%,
- 21–29 years: 46.5%,
- 30–39 years: 34.9%,
- Greater than >40 years: 4.7%.
Breast Augmentation and some World-wide facts
- Thailand is the top most popular country for breast augmentation.
- In 1997 the procedures were just over 101,000.
- In 2000 total procedures were only 212,500.
- In 2017 total procedures were 300,378.
- Breast augmentation in 2018 total procedures were 313,735.
- $16.5 billion was spent on cosmetic procedures in the U.S.
- Almost 1 million women in the US have had breast augmentation surgeries in the last three years.
- Total procedures carried out on women age 30-39 in 2018 were 116,251 and between 20-29 were 90,395.
- Saline implants are for women 18 years of age and older.
- The rest of 69 % are filled with a stable, silicone gel.
- Silicone gel implants are accessible for women over the age of 22.
- More than 90 % of women who undergo breast augmentation are pleased with their decision to get implants
- 95% women would recommend breast augmentation to others.
- More than 80% also report that their self-confidence improved after breast augmentation.
- 70 percent of women report having a more satisfying life after breast augmentation,
- Breast augmentation continues to be the top cosmetic procedure since 2006.
- Silicone implants were used in 88%, and saline implants in 12%, of all breast augmentations in 2018.
Breast Augmentation in Pakistan and some facts about it:
- Breast Augmentation is the most popular surgical procedure in Pakistan.
- The majority of patients in Pakistan undergo for breast augmentation are female.
- Most common among patients between the ages of 21 and 30.
- More than 85% difference shows in past 20 years.
- More than 1.8 million cosmetic surgical procedures performed in 2018, Breast augmentation is in the top five procedures.
- Present change 2018 vs. 2017, which is 4 % increase in demand.
- Present change 2018 vs. 2000 , which is 48 % increase in demand.
Reasons To Undergo Breast Augmentation
Women select to augment their breast size for a variety of reasons
- Recent weight loss.
- To enhance their appearance.
- If you think your breasts are too small or that one is smaller than the other
- Correct bumpy breasts after surgery for other conditions
- After pregnancy adjust for trimming in the size of your breasts
Common Questions Asked By Patients Before Breast Augmentation In Pakistan
Here are some common questions asked by patients before Breast Augmentation.
Who is a good candidate for breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is a deeply personal procedure. You may be a good candidate if:
- You have realistic expectations
- Your breasts are fully developed
- The feeling bothered you that your breasts are too small
- You are physically healthy and you aren’t pregnant or breastfeeding
- You are dissatisfied with your breasts losing volume and shape after weight loss, pregnancy or with aging
- You are heartbroken with the upper part of your breast appearing “empty”
- Your breasts are asymmetrical
What Does Breast Augmentation Costs Include?
A surgeon’s fee will be based on his/her experience, the geographic office location and the type of procedure used
- Operating room facilities
- Medical tests
- Post-surgery garments
- Hospital or surgical facility costs
- Prescriptions for medication
- Surgeon’s fee
What Should I Look Forward During A Consultation For Breast Augmentation?
It’s important to know all sides of your breast augmentation surgery. Don’t be fearful or shy while talking these feelings with your surgeon.
During your consultation be ready to discuss:
- Why you want breast augmentation surgery and your desired expectations.
- Your previous medical treatments and medical conditions.
- Current vitamins, herbal supplements, medications and drug use
- Family history of breast cancer.
Your Plastic Surgeon Will Also:
- Suggest a course of treatment and discuss your options
- Evaluate your general health status or risk factors
- Examine and measure your breast size and shape
- Take photographs
- Discuss likely outcomes and any risks or potential complications
What Questions Should I Ask My Surgeon About Breast Augmentation?
Use this checklist during your breast augmentation consultation as a guide:
- Are you certified by the Pakistan Association of Plastic Surgeons(PAPS)?
- Where you get your training specifically in the field of plastic surgery?
- Am I consider a good candidate for breast augmentation?
- What should I expect to get the best results?
- How and where you will perform my breast augmentation surgery?
- What shape, size, incision site and surface texturing are recommended for me?
- How long will the recovery period?
- How will I handled my complications?
- Will my ability to breastfeed be affected?
- If I choose to have the implants removed in the future without replacement then how my breasts will look?
What Types Of Breast Implants Are Available?
- Saline breast implants
- Structured saline breast implants
- Silicone breast implants
- Gummy bear breast implants
- Round breast implants
- Smooth breast implants
- Textured breast implants
What Are The Risks Of Breast Augmentation?
Possible breast augmentation surgery risks include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Changes in nipple or breast sensation
- Implant leakage or rupture
- Wrinkling of the skin
- Persistent pain
It is very important that you discuss all your queries with your plastic surgeon directly.
How should I prepare for breast augmentation?
In preparing for breast augmentation, you may be asked to:
- Stop smoking
- Get a blood test
- Adjust your current medications
- Avoid taking certain anti-inflammatory drugs as they can increase bleeding
- Stop taking recreational drugs
What are the basic steps of a breast augmentation procedure?
A breast augmentation procedure includes the following steps:
- Step 1 – Anesthesia
- Step 2 – The incision
- Step 3 –Placing & Inserting the breast implant
- Step 4 – Closing the incisions
- Step 5 – Results
What should I anticipate during my breast augmentation recovery?
During your breast augmentation recovery:
- Your breasts will be wrapped in gauze dressings or support bra will minimize swelling and support the breasts as they heal.
- You may also receive medications or a prescription.
- Your prescribed medications may include an antibiotic to prevent infection.
- Wear your support garment around the clock as instructed by your plastic surgeon.
- Resume your normal activity according to your plastic surgeon’s directions.
So it’s important to follow all your plastic surgeon’s directions carefully.
Breast augmentation yields larger and well-shaped breasts right away. The final results are quicker and will make you more comfortable and confident.