The psychological impact of hair loss in male pattern baldness and in women with generalized thinning has been the subject of many past studies. Many of us have seen the negative effects of hair loss on self-esteem and self-image.
By the age of 35, nearly two third of men have some degree of noticeable hair loss—and that number jumps to 85% after the age of 50.
What is Hair Transplant?
Hair Transplantation is a surgical technique that removes hair follicles from one part of the body, called the ‘donor site’, to a bald or balding part of the body known as the ‘recipient site’.
We offer both FUE AND FUT types of Hair Transplant
Ratio of Women to Men for Hair transplant
85.7 % of patients are men and 14.3 % are females patients are undergo for hair transplant procedure.
Hair Transplant And Some Facts About It:
- The total market size for hair transplant surgery increased by 64 % in 2015
- 635,189 hair restoration procedures worldwide in 2016
- Asia, middile east and USA are the top three regions where hair transplant procedures were performed
- Most demanded areas for hair transplant are scalp, eyebrow,beard,scar repair
- 195,284 procedures were carried out in Asia.
- 149,400 procedures were performed in Middle East
- 133,136 procedures were performed in the USA
- From 2014 to 2018 the procedures of hair transplant increase by 101% worldwide
- 3 % transgender hair transplant increase in 2016
The Truth About Hair Loss
There are certain myths about baldness such as vitamin deficiencies, poor circulation to the scalp, dandruff and even excessive hat wearing. All of these theories have been rejected.
Why It’s Done?
The prime reason for causing hair loss are:
- A change in hormones
- A family history of baldness
Who Is A Best Candidate For Hair Transplant?
Both men and women can be good candidate for hair transplant. It is wrongly assumed that hair transplant is limit to men only. Hair transplantation can be carried out successfully for both genders.
What Should I Anticipate During A Consultation For Hair Transplant Surgery?
In your initial consultation, your surgeon will evaluate
- Your hair growth and loss
- Review your family history of hair loss
- If you’ve had any previous hair transplant surgery.
Your surgeon will also ask you about
- Your lifestyle
- Discuss your expectations
- Goals for surgery
- Medical conditions
Be sure to tell your surgeon if you smoke or are taking any drugs or medications, especially aspirin or other drugs that affect blood clotting.
What Are The Risks Associated With A Hair Transplant?
Side effects from a hair transplant are usually minor and clear up within a few weeks.
They can include:
- Swelling of the scalp
- Bruising around the eyes
- Numbness on the treated areas of the scalp
- Inflammation or infection of the hair follicles, which is known as folliculitis
- Temporary loss of the transplanted hair
- Unnatural-looking tufts of hair
How Should I Prepare For Hair Transplant Surgery?
Your surgeon will provide you certain instructions on how to prepare for surgery.It includes guidelines on eating and drinking, smoking and taking or avoiding medications. Carefully follow your surgeon instructions will help your surgery go smoothly. If you smoke, it’s important to quit it for at least a week or two before surgery.
Where Hair Transplant Surgery Will Be Performed?
Hair transplant surgery is usually performed in a physician’s office-based facility or in an outpatient surgery center. Rarely does it require a hospital stay.
What are the Different Transplantation Methods available?
When it comes to modern hair transplant techniques, there are two primary methods for extracting hair follicles during the transplant procedure.
- FUT (Follicular Unit Transplant)
- FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction)
What To Expect During Hair Transplant?
- First of all, the scalp is thoroughly cleaned.
- Followed by numbing of the scalp by local anesthesia.
Follicles are obtained for transplantation either by FUT or FUE technique.
In Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT):
FUT, also known as FUSS (Follicular Unit Strip Surgery) is the traditional and most common method of hair transplantation.
- In FUT, a strip of tissue is removed from the back of the head, called the ‘donor’ site
- Strip is taken to a special room to be washed and separated into grafts (a piece of tissue containing hair follicles to be planted).
- The dissected grafts then are planted in holes created in the bald part of the head, called ‘recipient’ site
- After implantation, you will see the best results
Advantages of FUT are:
- Your donor area doesn’t have to be shaved down to grade zero
- It is suitable for transplantation of a large area of hair
- Removing hair strips take a very shorter time compared to the other method which you have to sit still for a long time only to get your hairs extracted.
With FUT the surgeon can harvest and move thousands of hair follicles in one go.
In Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE):
FUE is a more modern technique in which
- A part of the donor area is shaved and then strands of hair are individually cut out by making circular incisions around them.
- Doctor has to extract each graft individually and directly from the scalp
- The extracted grafts are then inserted into holes created in the bald area just like in FUT
- At the end of the procedure the doctor covers the scalp with bandages for a few days.
FUE is one of the least invasive hair transplants and is a scar-less procedure.
FUE has the following advantages:
- No trace of scarring left on the scalp after recovery
- Suitable for those who wish to have short hair
- Short recovery period (5-7 days)
Who Is A Good Candidate For FUE?
- Younger individuals, especially those in their twenties constitute the ideal community to whom FUE is usually prescribed.
- People with small baldness
- People with short hair
- Those who have already had a previous procedure
Who Is A Good Candidate For FUT?
- People with long hair
- Patients with large baldness
What Should I Anticipate During My Hair Transplant Recovery?
- If used bandages, they will generally be removed one day after surgery.
- Recovery is smooth and uneventful mostly.
- You may softly wash your hair within two days after surgery.
- Stitches will be removed within 10 days.
- Discuss the possibility of any swelling, bruising and drainage with your cosmetic surgeon.
- For the first 2 weeks, careful daily shower is recommended.
However, after 2 weeks you can resume all your normal activities without any precautions.
What Is The Successful Ratio Of The Hair Transplant?
Hair transplants are effective procedures for restoring the lost hair growth. It requires just minimal maintenance after surgery on the affected areas .The success of the surgery depends on skillfulness and experience of the doctor.
97% of the transplanted hair grow back like normal hair in an estimated time of 6 to 12 months. And the mean score of satisfaction is 9 out of 10.
Benefits of Hair Transplant
- Easiest and the quickest way to restore the lost hair.
- Does away with balding
- Low maintenance
- Cost savings
- Improved Appearance
- Life-long results
- Painless procedure
- Less risk of complications
- The result looks natural
- No scars as in (FUE)
So, don’t get late and schedule an appointment now to experience the best treatment.